Thursday, May 7, 2009

Idea: The Music Think Tank rolls


"The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity." John F. Kennedy

The industry is at the verge and in between models, that's common sense by now and accepted even by the most stubborn record labels (hopefully!). However, still it's an crucial aspect whether the industry focuses on the fact that it's a crisis and a way out MUST be found or simply be grateful for the change, the manifold new ideas and the exciting times after all. I prefer the ladder one.

That being said, I enjoy all the input and great ideas and approaches I find everyday on the web, of people willing to change something and having mostly one thing in mind: the artist and how he can make his cut in these times, when you basically can not rely on record companies and classic models anymore.

But regarding this, one question burns ;-) Can I actually  read loud thoughts? Yes, I can! Am I going off topic? No, I don't.

MUSIC THINK TANK ("where the music industry thinks out loud" get it?) is actually one of those platforms where lots of smart music professionals and music lovers meet to present, exchange and discuss ideas on the future of the music industry. Discussions offer relevant topics such as instructions how to build with simple and free tools a much stronger web presence than myspace could ever offer and other marketing related issues. It's definitely highly recommended to subscribe to their blog and get stuffed with intellectual input.

Further you can get acqainted to laods of interesting means and tools and how to make use of them, e.g.  Mailchimp, Reverbnation or compete.com just to name a few. And the best thing, almost all of these ideas are out there, shared, open for discussion and free and not super secret in some major label office. 

Moreover, it's a perfect place to connect to other likeminded creative people and check their individual output.

See for example the works of Chris Purifoy or Andrew Dubber, its really interesting material and, fuck, it's pretty amazing what you can make of a simple blog. I gotta go a long way with this one!

So this is a lot of input for now I guess. Even with these posts and issues I might be a little behind the dvelopments on the market, but still I hope I can provide some interesting insights for the readers of this blog. Plus, this one is mainly for me to give some some space to all the interesting things I come across. However, I always appeal, drop me even more feedback, with stuff to do better and new sounds, art and ideas you find interesting and I should hear. Connect, connect!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment